GUBU
An Irish woman's social, political and domestic commentary
Tuesday, February 04, 2003  

So called competition

Did you know that Waterstones and Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street in Dublin are both owned by EMI?

In my history lessons we read all about Theodore Roosevelt and trust-busting. In the eighties we admired the achievements of Peter Sutherland, EU Commissioner for Competition who broke up the airline monopolies. But now it looks like 100 years of anti-cartel legislation got demolished in the last ten years. I think I'm comparing prices at Ikea and Habitat..but they're the same company! I think I can choose between Waterstones and Hodges Figgis...but its the same company! I ring Aer Lingus to get a quote on a flight and then check with BA....guess what? I'm getting prices on the SAME flight!

There's too much of this pretend competition going on. Karel van Miert tried to do something about it...but we need more like him and the old Peter. Not the new one.

posted by Sarah | 15:30 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment
archives
Previous Popular Posts
Other Blogs
contact