GUBU
An Irish woman's social, political and domestic commentary
Thursday, August 26, 2004  

US State and Venezuela

The dissembling continues.

"QUESTION: Yes. There still seems to be quite a bit of confusion over the final position of the United States regarding the referendum results. Are you still going to issue any kind of a written statement?

MR. ERELI: As I said on Thursday, I am not going to commit to what form a statement might take, whether it be written or otherwise. I think we have been very forthcoming in public statements on Venezuela. The latest is that the OAS and Carter Center have conducted an audit of the election results. In our view, the results of that audit are consistent with the results announced by the National Electoral Council on August 16th and we understand that the Electoral Council will certify the final results on August 25th.

We commend the important contribution of the OAS and Carter Center to the referendum process and we again congratulate the people of Venezuela for their peaceful civic participation in this process and their demonstrated commitment to democracy.

QUESTION: Adam, that statement seems to kind of leave it open. You say you result -- that you evaluate the views that were consistent with CNE. You don't say that you agree with those views entirely, do you?

MR. ERELI: I'll leave it where I -- I'll leave it where I -- with what I said."

posted by Sarah | 10:48 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment
archives
Previous Popular Posts
Other Blogs
contact