GUBU
An Irish woman's social, political and domestic commentary
Wednesday, October 13, 2004  

Soccer and education

Generally resentful of the domination of soccer in general news and media, and appalled by the fact that I know who occupies the top positions in the Premier League, I was even more taken aback to learn that soccer was able to improve my education. Ireland plays the Faro Islands tonight (world cup qualifier in Landsdowne Road - a crucial 3 points are at stake and even tho the islands constitute a weaker side in our group - which also contains France and Switzerland - they have been known to hold good sides to a draw - and I know this without having read any sports articles - I believe we play without Keane (Roy) and Clinton Morrison......anyway.......A radio programme held a quiz last night. Where are the Faro Islands? The host called out the alternative answers. A) North Atlantic B) Mediterranean C)Indian Ocean. I waited for the inevitable D) South Pacific. But no...it didn't come. They stopped at C. The answer was A. They are somewhere near Iceland. I was appalled. Confessing my ignorance to my husband he suggested I had mixed them up with Fiji. I had pictured Polynesian types. But they play rugby. I am thoroughly ashamed and humbled.

posted by Sarah | 09:16 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment
archives
Previous Popular Posts
Other Blogs
contact