GUBU
An Irish woman's social, political and domestic commentary
Thursday, January 06, 2005  

Don't sweat the small stuff

Observation of the day which has danger of seeming trite and yet remains compelling:

I can do nothing about life and death. The child will be born ok or not and there's very little I can do about it. I have to leave the room when the TV shows the tsunami victims now. It's too upsetting and knowing more about it isn't going to change anything.

But I can make the trek back to the bathroom supply shop so I can swap the handbasin taps so they match the bath taps. I could say: well, look at all those dead people and the live miserable ones - it hardly matters if the taps don't match. But I can do something about the taps and nothing about the misery of others. So I might as well do it. Thus I can maintain an illusion of control over my life and sleep easier at night. Does this make me a bad person?

posted by Sarah | 21:29 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment
archives
Previous Popular Posts
Other Blogs
contact